- Is my primary motivation for considering church planting a positive one (such as the glory of God and the salvation of people) and not dissatisfaction with my present situation?
- Do I believe that church planting is the primary God-ordained strategy by which He accomplishes His will, advances His kingdom and glorifies His name?
- Do I believe and experience the gospel as the “power of God” not only to save me from sin’s penalty but also from sin’s domineering power over my life?
- Do I share the gospel with non-believers on a regular basis, and can I point to people who have made professions of faith and are still walking with Christ as a result of my witness?
- Have I had enough exposure to church planting in a ministry focus group similar to what I am considering that I know what the life of a church planter is like?
- Am I assured of God’s call on my life to church planting instead of to church pastoring?
- Do I have the necessary training needed to do church planting effectively?
- Can I articulate clearly what my gifts and personal characteristics are that would make me effective in church planting in the type of community I’m considering?
- Is there objective evidence that I am comfortable relating well with secular people and able to accept them joyfully into my life and the community of faith?
- Is my spouse and family willing, even enthusiastic, about our doing church planting?
- Do I have a gospel-confidence (both lamb-like humility AND lion-like boldness) that, in light of my proven ministry experience, gifts, and skills, I will be effective in church planting?
- Do I have the spiritual disciplines (consistent personal worship, freedom from patterns of besetting sin, good accountability relationships) necessary for being a spiritual leader truly above reproach?
- Do I display self-management disciplines (getting work done on time, keeping commitments, consistency, honesty) that will encourage followers to trust my leadership?
- Have I developed a relatively comprehensive vision (values, mission, philosophy of ministries, gathering strategies, etc.) of the kind of church I want to plant in my ministry focus group?
- Am I considered a “people person”, someone who is humble, a good listener, teachable, patient, sensitive, and winsome?
- Do people tend to sit up, listen and come back when I preach–giving evidence that my preaching and communication gifts are special strengths (above average)?
- Do spiritually wise, influential people in my life tell me that church planting is a right fit for me?
- Have I had a positive track record in the church ministries I have led–giving strong evidence of my ability both to lead people AND raise up leaders?
- Do I have a sincere passion for church planting? Is church planting compatible with my personal career goals or is it seen as merely a “stepping stone” to some other ministry in the future?
- Understanding the gifts and skills of a church planter usually include being a visionary leader, effective evangelist, and an above average Christ-centered preacher, do I have these endowments?
- If you answered 16 or more with a yes – probably so
- If you answered 10-15 with a yes – think, pray and talk to others some more before moving in that direction
- Less than 10 – possibly not